PRESENT:  Erik Cramb, Anne Farrow, Lillian Malcolm, Sandy Cameron, Denise Cameron, Dorothy Wilson, Carole Craig, Jan Goodall, John Mitchell, Bill Varney, Michael Leeland, Daisy Faild.

APOLOGIES: Denis Bethell, Lynda Sawers, Heather Flood.




The minutes of the meeting held on 4th April 2019 were approved.





2.1.          (Re minute 4.1). Walking and Cycling Pathways in Broughty Ferry. John visited the information stand near Broughty Ferry Castle. The weather was terrible but there were 2 men in attendance issuing questionnaires which asked for suggestions of how to improve the walking and cycling routes. One suggestion made was to get rid of the dog mess and John was pleased to report that a large bin for poo-bags appeared soon afterwards.  The men in attendance reported that they had been busy despite the weather.  Anne to ask what happens next.


2.2.          (Re minute 6.3). Dundee Station. We were pleased that Andrew Marshall Roberts had provided such a detailed response but there were still some concerns. Anne will consult with Michael and write back to Andrew.


Dorothy will ask Scott Mands to find out what happened to the guide AccessAble were going to produce.


2.3.          (Re minute 6.4).  Problems of parking on double yellow lines and of parking on Perth Road. Lynda has been in touch with Fraser McPherson, Councillor for Dundee’s West End, and has an appointment to see him on 3rd May. Anne tried to contact Steve Emmonds, Parking Leader Dundee Council but he has recently retired. Anne will now contact John Berry, Dundee Council.




3.1            Treasurer’s Report.  Sandy tabled a Statement of Accounts for the year ending March 31st, 2019.


3.2            Perth Road Places for People. Carole and Lynda have agreed to be involved with the West End Community Council for this project. They will ensure on-street parking is considered.


3.3            Meeting of The Poverty and Inequality Commission on 20 June. This will be a chance to hear about the work of the Commission, with a focus on their work on transport and housing wealth. Anyone wishing to attend should contact Erik.


3.4            Changes to Pension Credit. Pension Credit is already hugely under claimed by those who are eligible to claim it.




By email


4.1             Disability Equality Scotland Newsletter.


4.2            The ALLIANCE Weekly Bulletin.


4.3            On 1/4/19 from Dorothy Wilson re Polling Station Review Meeting.


Erik attended this meeting and thought the council official has everything covered from an access point of view.


4.4            On7/4/19 from Dorothy Wilson re Dundee Fairness Commission hoping to get a commissioner who has a disability.


4.5            On 7/4/19 from Jillian Crabb who is considering opening a shop on Perth Road. The shop has a step at the entrance, and she is asking for advice about a ramp.


Carole met Jillian. She is keen that the shop she finally buys will be fully accessible and Carole will continue to keep in touch with her.


4.6            On 12/4/19 an invitation to the AGM of BRAW (Biking, Riding and Walking) Dundee on April 22nd, which includes a presentation on the development of cross boundary strategic paths and an interactive look at e-bikes.


4.7            On 15/4/19 a link to Jackie Baillie MSP Member's Bill Consultation with regards to the aim to change the legislation surrounding access to wheelchairs for short term needs.


Anne completed the consultation.


4.8            On 15/4/19 a link to the What's On? guide of events and activities taking place for over 50's in April and May.  


4.9            On 26/4/19 from Andrew Marshall-Roberts, Access & Inclusion Manager at Scotrail with a response to the letter written to him re Dundee Railway Station.


4.10        On 24/4/19 from Dundee West End Community Council re Perth Road Places for People.


4.11        On 24/4/19 notification of The Poverty and Inequality Commission Annual Public Meeting.


4.12        On 25/4/19 Disability Equality Scotland’s Open Door - Issue 51.


4.13        On 29/4/19 info re changes to Pension Credit.


4.14        On 30/4/19 Age Scotland Transport Consultation: Update.


5         A.O.B.


5.1            The V&A.


·       Lillian drew our attention to the problem that the disabled parking for the V&A is too far for anybody with a blue badge to walk. 

·       She also said that, having been at the V&A one wet day, when she ordered a taxi to take her home she had to wait outside in the rain because she needed to see the taxi arriving and couldn’t do that from anywhere inside.

·       Carole said that it would be helpful if, when visitors had mobility problems, they could be ‘fast-tracked’ to the front of any queues and not left standing for a time.


Anne said she would contact the V&A to make them aware of these problems.


5.2            Jan drew our attention to an email from Age Scotland publishing the results of their Transport Survey. (See minute 4.14 above). She also drew our attention to an article in the Courier which said that ‘free bus passes boost happiness and wellbeing’. She suggested that those who didn’t have free bus passes didn’t have them because they were too infirm to be able to use them.


5.3            Dorothy said that there is a consultation (closing 13th May) out now proposing Building Regulations require the installation of Changing Places Toilets in all new large publicly accessible buildings and significant redevelopments. Currently, building regulations guidance only recommends Changing Places toilets are installed.






The 2019 AGM of Dundee Access Group will be held at 12.45 on Thursday 6th June 2019 in Thomas Herd House, 10 - 12 Ward Road, Dundee, DD1 1LX. Our next meeting will follow it.




 web: www.dundeeaccessgroup.co.uk                 email:dundeeaccessgroup.org@hotmail.co.uk