MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 7TH MARCH 2019 IN THOMAS HERD HOUSE, WARD ROAD, DUNDEE.

 

 

PRESENT:Carole Craig, Erik Cramb, Anne Farrow, Bill Varney, Lillian Malcolm, Sandy Cameron, Denise Cameron, Dorothy Wilson, Lynda Sawers, Alison Rae, Jackie Close (Fairness Commission), Jan Bethany, Jim Donnet.

APOLOGIES: Jan Goodall, Carol Anderson, Denis Bethell.

1.     INVITED VISITOR: Andrew Peel, a Disability Equality speaker for Leonard Cheshire attended our meeting. He said that Leonard Cheshire now supports people with disabilities to live, learn and work as independently as they choose, starting by providing care either in the individualís home or in a specialist care home. They also campaign to improve the life of those with disabilities, with respect to transport, social care and employment. At present one of their campaigns is to have step free railway stations where possible and another is Change 100 which is a programme which brings together the UKís top employers and talented disabled students and graduates to offer three months of paid work experience. Leonard Cheshire are keen at present to recruit volunteers who are willing to become speakers to talk to local groups about disability issues, or to become befrienders. For more information see https://www.leonardcheshire.org/home/scotland.

 

Andrew offered the help of Leonard Cheshire in any campaigns that Dundee Access Group were pursuing and was keen both to stay for the rest of our meeting and to come to others. We thanked him for his contribution to our meeting.

 

2.     MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING:

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 7th February 2019 were approved.

 

 

3.       MATTERS ARISING:

 

3.1.          (Re minute 1). Taxi drivers. Currently all taxi drivers in Dundee must complete an SVQ course before they are granted a licence. It covers disability issues. Erik will invite Chris Elder, taxi driver representative for the Unite union to our next meeting to tell us about the training they are given.

 

3.2.          (Re minute 3.3). Northern Linksí project. Lillian explained the proposals and told us about her meetings with Caley McDowall and the proposals. Everyone was pleased about the easy kerb-free access routes that would be provided into the city centre. However, Andrew and Jan had encountered similar situations in other cities and said the narrowing of the roads meant there might be fewer on-street parking spaces available for disabled drivers to use. Anne to report this to Caley.

 

3.3.          (Re minute 6.1). Coffee & Co. Lynda went there with her husband and couldnít get into the premises. The step at the entrance was very high and the ramps they provided werenít fit for purpose. Lynda discussed the problem with them and said Dundee Access Group would give them advice about obtaining a ramp that was suitable. Erik will get in touch with them.

 

 

4       OTHER AGENDA ITEMS:

 

4.1            Sandy had nothing new to report.

 

 

5         CORRESPONDENCE:

 

By email

 

5.1            Inclusion Scotland E-Bulletins.

 

5.2            Alliance Weekly Bulletins.

 

5.3            On 4/2/19 from Fiona Denoon, Systra, re Northern Links Project.

 

5.4            On 6/2/19 from the Communities Officer for Coldside Ward re various walkabouts in the Ward and wondering if there was anyone available from the Access Group who would be available to join them.

 

5.5            On 7/2/19 from Michael, Oovirt, who is producing an inclusive Dundee guide that establishes a central location for information on accessibility and is looking to speak to some people about the information they look for when visiting a new city/place.

 

Lynda and Anne both provided information for him.

 

5.6            On 7/2/19 From Dorothy Wilson re Regional Performance Centre for Sport in Caird Park.

 

5.7            On 11/2/19 from DES with Invitation to fill in questionnaire on Investing in Access.

 

5.8            On 12/2.19 from Carole Anderson, Age Scotland, sending info re workplace parking charges in Nottingham.

 

Dorothy consulted with Dundee Councilís transportation section and they have advised that it is a political decision for the elected members, and they have no feedback yet.

 

5.9            On 17/2/19 from Peter McDade, East Dumbarton Access Panel. a link to a consultation document about the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR).

 

5.10        On 18/2/19 from Nicola Mitchell, Older Peoples Services Development Officer, sending an invitation to a Coffee and Conversation session.

 

5.11        On 18/2/19 from Dundee Council who are doing a statutory review of polling places.

 

Anne to resend this email to encourage others to respond.

 

5.12        On 18/2/19 from Dundee Health and Social Care Partnership sending a link to the new Dundee & Angus Independent Living website.

 

5.13        On 20/2/19 From Caley McDowall asking for feedback re the Northern Links Project proposals.

 

5.14        On 20/2/19 from Carole Anderson sending info re taxi driver training in Dundee.

 

5.15        On 28/2/19 from DES sending their Disability Equality Scotland Newsletter.

 

 

6††† A.O.B.

6.1            Carole said that she and Hannah had been involved with a Dundee University studentís project on the accessibility of Dundee City centre and she would share her dissertation when it was finished.

 

6.2            Jan Bethany said that she has visual problems and had had trouble gaining entry to the D C Thomson building in Meadowside Dundee. She also had trouble using the escalator in Marks and Spencer shop in Murraygate. Bill said he would try to help.

 

6.3            Carole reminded the group about Disabled Access Day on 16th March and said that the Access Group in Perth organise a variety of events for those with disabilities, so it would be worth visiting Perth that day.

 

6.4            Andrew said that the Parkside Guest House in Edinburgh provided good accommodation for those with disabilities. https://www.leonardcheshire.org/support-and-information/disability-care-and-support/accessible-holidays/parkside-guesthouse

 

 

7††† DATE OF NEXT MEETING.

 

The next meeting is on Thursday 4th April 2019 in Thomas Herd House, 10 - 12 Ward Road, Dundee, DD1 1LX.

 

 

 

 

††† web: www.dundeeaccessgroup.co.uk†††† †††††††email:dundeeaccessgroup.org@hotmail.co.uk