PRESENT:  Erik Cramb, Anne Farrow, Sandy Cameron, Denise Cameron, Jan Goodall, Denis Bethell, Dorothy Wilson, Lynda Sawers, Michael Leeland, Carol Anderson (Age Concern), Jim Donnet.

APOLOGIES:  Carole Craig, John Mitchell, Bill Varney, Lillian Malcolm, Heather Flood.


1.     INVITED VISITOR: Caroline Kennedy, a commissioner with the Poverty and Inequality Commission attended our meeting to collect information to give to the Scottish Government about the affordability, accessibility and reliability of transport for older and disabled people in the Dundee area.


We told Caroline of many problems older and disabled people face, some of which were:

·       Some people are eligible for bus passes but can’t use them because they are unable to get to bus stops

·       Not enough buses running in the evenings

·       The uncertainty of being allowed on a bus because they are only allowed to carry one wheelchair

·       Taxis are too expensive for most people and the subsidy they previously had has been withdrawn

·       Wheelchair accessible taxis sometimes being reluctant to take wheelchairs e.g. saying ‘your wheelchair is too heavy for my ramp’

·       Taxis accepting phone bookings but not turning up.

·       Concern was expressed about the effects there would be on disabled drivers if Workplace Parking Charges were introduced.


 We are pleased that the Scottish Government will be made aware of the problems faced by older and disabled in Scotland. 


Should anyone have a problem with a taxi or taxi driver they should firstly complain to the taxi company and then to the licensing authority.





The minutes of the meeting held on 6th December 2018 were approved.





3.1.          (Re minute 2.1). Heather was not at the meeting to tell us more about the lift at T J Hughes.


3.2.          (Re minute 3.2). We were happy with Frank Sheach’s response to the matters raised at our last meeting and we appreciated his offer to attend one of our meetings.


3.3.          (Re minute 3.3). Lillian attended two site visits in November to provide a wheelchair user’s view of the cycle routes Dundee’s ‘Northern Links’ project proposes to create connecting communities in the north-east and north-west to the city centre.  When the concept designs are available, she will meet with Caley McDowall, SYSTRA Ltd to discuss them.






4.1            Sandy had nothing new to report.





By email


5.1            Disability Equality Scotland Newsletters.


5.2            The ALLIANCE Weekly Bulletins.


5.3            Inclusion Scotland E-bulletins.


5.4            On 6/12/18 from Dorothy Wilson sending leaflet from CAPA (Care about Physical Activity).


5.5            On 7/12/18 from Dorothy Wilson sending info re launch of Re-discover Dundee which hopes to enable locals test ride e-bikes and trikes.


5.6            On 10/12/18 from Dundee Council sending info re the Dundee & Angus Independent Living web site, a resource for people who would benefit from support to remain independent in their homes.


5.7            On 20/12/18 from DES sending their Access Panel Newsletter.


5.8            On 21/12 18 from Anne Farrow sending link to get Motability’s ‘The Rough Guide to Accessible Britain’ free download.


5.9            On 8/1/19 from Dorothy Wilson forwarding Xplore Dundee’s response to comments made about their new Emerald buses.


5.10        On 11/1/19 from Dundee Council sending info re Cycling Without Age Information Session on 15th January 2019.


5.11        On 14/1/19 from Joyce Barclay, Dundee Health and Social Care Partnership, saying that the Dundee Integration Joint Board Equality Outcomes are undergoing review and they would like our opinions.


Carole and Erik had attended. They were pleased to hear all of what the Board would like to do but were concerned that resources were a major problem.


5.12        On 17/1/19 from Charlie Heenan, Jon Frullani Architect Ltd, re the proposed Gelateria at 246 Perth Road, Dundee, confirming to Carole that the unit is provided with level access and has a fully accessible WC, but they cannot provide a low counter installation for pay. However, they have made the franchise owner aware that the design of the counter tops must change if any more units are to open in Scotland.


5.13        On 18/1/19 from DES re Parley at the Parly.  DES is hosting a discussion event for the Access Panel Network in the Scottish Parliament on 14 March. 2 members from each Access Panel are invited to attend this event and each Access Panel is asked to submit a question in advance related to the theme “Improving sustainability and local engagement of the Access Panel Network in Scotland”.


5.14        On 25/1/19 from DVA sending January edition of the Dundee Third Sector Interface E-Bulletin.


5.15        On 29/1/19 from Caley McDowall, Systra, re the ‘Northern Links’ project which proposes to create three strategic cycle routes connecting communities in the north-east and north-west to the city centre. She would like our views on the concept infrastructure designs before they are finalised.


6    A.O.B.


6.1            Erik visited Coffee & Co recently and was impressed by their disabled toilet. He was told by the manager that they had a portable ramp to enable wheelchair users to access the building. Carole will get them a sign for their window to say that they have a ramp available and Lynda will visit for a coffee before our next meeting.


6.2            Dawn Taylor, Leonard Cheshire, was in touch to say that Andrew Peel, one of their volunteer speakers, is keen to go to group events and talk about disability inclusion within the workplace and local community as well as Leonard Cheshire. Anne will invite him to our next meeting.


6.3            Jan handed out leaflets about the Community Car Scheme which provides older people with door-to-door transport. They do this by recruiting volunteer drivers who give their time and use their own cars, and people can use the service for many purposes, such as visiting friends, attending social events, shopping, or medical appointments.


6.4            Dorothy said that the Regional Performance Centre for Sport in Caird Park, can be visited on 'Doors Open Day' on 22nd March 2019.






The next meeting is on Thursday 7th March 2019 in Thomas Herd House, 10 - 12 Ward Road, Dundee, DD1 1LX.



















           web: www.dundeeaccessgroup.co.uk                           email: dundeeaccessgroup.org@hotmail.co.uk